Notre-Dame des Marches Route des Marches 18 1636 Broc
Parc naturel régional Gruyère Pays-d'Enhaut - This chapel is the most important sanctuary dedicated to the Virgin Mary in the canton of Fribourg.
First mentioned in 1572, the chapel was reconstructed in 1705 by the Ruffieux brothers, all three of whom were priests and descendants of a long line of cheese merchants from Broc. The altar still features its original 1731 retable. Particularly remarkable is the statue of the Virgin and child, created in the 16th century by le Maître aux gros nez (the master with a big nose). Her red jewelry and embroidery were added in 1933 by artist Alexandre Cingria. The artist also created the chancel stained-glass (1944) which depict pilgrims. The stained-glass windows in the nave are the work of his son-in-law Emilio Beretta.
The trials leads to Châtel-sur-Montsalvens in a superb course that is listed in the inventory of historical traffic routes in Switzerland. Afterwards the trail descends to the Broc chocolate factory and to Gruyère.